cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi I have a 1987 34 sedan bridge....

quack
Guest Contributor

Hi I have a 1987 34 sedan bridge. When it rains water runs down the fly bridge and along the gutter to the rear of the boat.There is a small gutter that is suppose to direct the water over board.But it runs down into the cockpit.We have replaced the wall between the cock pit and salon but the water still runs down there. Has anyone found a way to divert the water overboard. Thanks  

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not post an image(s) showing the problem?

The water will flow on the easiest path(s) downhill. Unacceptable paths must be blocked for correct flow routing.

quack
Guest Contributor
Thanks for your reply .Pic is a good Idea will post.It is running the correct way just think it was a poor design.I put a piece of a cut out plastic bottle that helped a little but not great and looked dumb.Hoped others had this problem and came up with good fix. Thanks will post pic.

quack
Guest Contributor

quack
Guest Contributor

quack
Guest Contributor

quack
Guest Contributor
Hope someone can make out what these pics are and may have an Idea

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the pictures.

From the description and the images, it the desired water flow to exit over the side away from the boat, straight out from where the channel exists?

Is the problem what the water passes through the channel, but then runs down, wrapping around that curved fiberglass, then drips into the cockpit below?

quack
Guest Contributor
Yes that is the exact problem. Over the years it rotted the wood in the cockpit. We have replaced the wood but the problem still exists.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My suggestion is to use a rectangular thin section of white plastic, such as a Bondo blade, about 2-3" wide, attached to the top surface of that upper rub rail, extending several inches away from the boat.

The top surface of that upper rub rail already slopes downhill, good.

The water must be directed to only exit over that new ramp, not taking an easier path to still drip inside.

It should be possible to create "berms" of adhesive, on either side of those existing water channels, onto this new ramp, to the edge of the ramp.

The water should then run downhill on the ramp, then overboard when it reaches that lowest sharp edge.

If this works as desired, then a better appearance solution could be implemented using off-the-shelf self-adhesive trim parts.

quack
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the idea, have tried a cut up water bottle and appeared to work, but looked really bad.Your Idea is a good one thanks for the help will have to look for a good looking solution.

thanks again