cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1989 Weekender 300. I...

Hano_P
Guest Contributor

I have a 1989 Weekender 300. I am reupholstering the seats and the side panels.In the process of removing the panels I found the wood support under the side panel carpeting is rotted out. It does not look to be structural. Can you anyone provide some confirmation on structural or not, also any advice repair?  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Hano_P
Guest Contributor
Picture of rotted wood

Hano_P
Guest Contributor

wingless
Rising Contributor
My suggestion would be to remove and replace the rotted wood.

That wood does not appear structural, but instead appears to resist flexing / damage such as when pushing against a dock.

The image w/ the red/black wires appears to show fiberglass cracking, such as from pushing against a dock.

Those cracks could be fixed by roughing up, then applying multiple layers of fiberglass.

All these repairs are not difficult, or hire a local company to do it correctly.

It may be that there are water leak(s) that caused the damage. Those leaks should be located and repaired.

Hano_P
Guest Contributor
Appreciate the quick response. I will be working the repair later this week. The fiberglass repair is straight forward, and all the more easier since it is in an area that isn't generally visible (doesn't need to be a perfect paintable surface when done).