Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello to All, 2018 Searay SPX 210...

mabraham0531
Guest Contributor

Hello to All,

2018 Searay SPX 210 OB 

I have a question if it can be answered, I’m trailering a little longer than norm and would like to know if the seats need to be removed and if to tow with the snap on cover from factory or remove. Also do I bring the Bimini down or store upright still good. Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

livefortheweeke
Guest Contributor
I trailer a lot and learned a lot of lessons the first couple trips:

1. You're not supposed to trailer with covers, they could come undone and once one snap comes undone the cover is gone.

2. I'm not sure about your 210, but my 190 has the cooler cover as the rear seat, it flaps in the wind which puts stress on the hinge. Also, the seat cover in the corner is not fastened at all. We usually bring our golf clubs on vacation, so I tie my clubs down to the handle/ cleat to keep both seats in place (I tie them so the clubs don't fly forward when I break). I suggest using something that ties down, my cooler seat was lifting 2 sets of clubs at almost out of the boat at 70Mph before I just used the one set and tied it down tight.

3. I take off the bimini and set it in the bottom of the boat. I was trailering with it up, but the aluminum poles rubbed on each other a lot, and it puts a lot of stress on it. I tried laying it on the back cushion, but it will wear the cushion material as it slides back and forth and was leaving a black mark on it.

4. Remove floor mats! I already lost one and they're expensive.

If you'll be trailering a lot, I suggest getting a custom trailering cover.

livefortheweeke
Guest Contributor
I did some research and some older posters say they trailer with the mooring cover on? My dealer said not to as it ruins the cover (and it could fly off if a button comes loose). Leaving the covers on would be nice, but I don't want to lose them AND my boat contents? Seems to me for long trips, a reinforced strapped down trailering cover would make the most sense?

lyleski
Guest Contributor
I have been towing with the button down cover on my SeaRay since 2002. It came with the boat brand new. It has two pieces, one front and one back, that connect in the middle with Velcro at the front of the windshield. It is well attached and would appear to me to have been built for towing, The farthest I have traveled from home is 165 miles each way with no trouble. The boat is stored in a garage with the top on. So even after sixteen years the cover is still in very good condition. Hope that helps.

Carey
Guest Contributor
just came back from an 8 hr drive with the snap on cover, zero issues... 60 - 70 mph most of the way

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
With the cost of the factory canvas. I have always used a mooring cover when I'm on the road with mine. Other advice is new tires on trailer ever three years no matter how many miles....

gadvan
Guest Contributor
We just towed our Bowrider 900 miles no snap on cover and Bimini folded down. Seats started to leave the boat at 50mph so we pulled them and threw them in back of pickup. It all went perfectly except for the ticket from Ohio state trooper. I guess they have a law that if you don’t move over when police have someone pulled over you get ticketed. I was pulling trailer with a semi tractor trailer boxing me in. No way to move one lane and got my ticket

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
The law is move over or slow down for emergency vehcles if not possible to move over. Actually, it's the law in 49 states.

lyleski
Guest Contributor
I regularly tow with the Bimini folded away into it's zip cover, but still stored upright. Have gone thousands of miles that way. Only drag is if you go through bugs, they will end up on the cover. Have found cannot go faster than about 45 mph without folding the Bimini into it's cover. So only do that short distances at low speed.

sthughes
Guest Contributor
My wife tells me always cover the boat for trailering, she's afraid someone will throw a cigarette out and burn up the interior. I did lose the sundeck cushion on my 2000 210 BR from towing without the cover. Since then and $450 to replace, I have towed with trailering type cover in place. If I had snap down covers, I would tow with them. Covers are cheaper to replace than some other items IMHO

TRC
Guest Contributor
I have always trailered with the f
actory bow and cockpit covers snapped down. I wouldn't want to arrive at the water and find seat cushions or life jackets missing. I also leave my bimini upright but folded closed with the zippered cover, four seasons without losing anything.

livefortheweeke
Guest Contributor
After consulting with some more owners/dealers/various online forums I've heard from both sides. Lots of people have said they trailer with bow/after snap ons just fine. However, there are just as many that have had covers/snaps come undone. When they come undone, they proceed to either flap (sometimes unseen) and damage nearby gel coat, or fly off altogether (along with other interior items). My decision has been to purchase a fairly expensive custom cover that straps to the trailer and tightens around boat from an aft strap/rope. We'll use it for trailering and parking outside. In the long run, my thinking is it will save me money, and give me peace of mind. It will also protect the top gel coat when parked outdoors, which bow/aft covers don't do. It's also more difficult to get off than a snap on cover, in the event we leave valuables in the boat while traveling.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Trailering with the cover has as much risk as without. If you don't secure the contents and the cover blows off, you could lose the cover and contents. I've had 3 boats and never lost seats when trailering uncovered. I'm 15 minutes to the lake and I would keep the bimini folded and up. Longer trips, I lower the bimini, pad the arms tucking gelcoat and secure it to the gunwhale. Extra precautions never hurt.
If you want to minimize bad stuff, go with extra precautions. Enjoy.

----
Guest Contributor
Always cover! You see PFD's and seats on the side of the road. I lost my cup holders and my gull wings wanted to open upon travel. You also see adds of people looking for their seats.