cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is an update on my question...

rickyhill16
Guest Contributor

Here is an update on my question about top end speed for our Seville 19.

Since we bought the boat:  New battery, new distributor (supposedly new plugs and wires also), new shift switch ( not sure of correct name, but has to do with shifting to forward and reverse), oil change, gear oil change in stern drive.

According to GPS at WOT speed is 37.5mph with 2200 rpm.

sitting at idle, when I throttle full forward, the hole shot is slow.  The bow rides up very high and slowly comes to plane.  My next step it to look at the prop and determine what I have.  I understand that I can't have both a good hole shot and top end speed as the props are designed for different purposes.

3 REPLIES 3

lyleski
Guest Contributor
If you are indicating it is both slow out of the hole and slow at the top end, don't see how a prop would be helpful. A prop for more top end speed, would make an even slower acceleration from stop. At least based on my limited knowledge. If the engine checks out ok, when was the last time the out drive was gone through?

The other thing to think about is 37 mph is only a 18% drop in top speed from 45. Even in a brand new boat it is sometimes hard to get the advertised numbers out of a boat. Just something to think about. I've had several boats over the years that did not get much more speed than this and I always had a good time with them.

mtpocketsad
Guest Contributor
If the RPM is correct at 2200. Prop is way to big. You want to be close to Max rpm range wide open with boat loaded half fuel , etc. Small pitch or diameter will help on take off,

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
I things to consider. As stated above you should be almost at redline at wot don't remember engine but think a 5.0 Merc carb engine. Bottom fouling can cause both problems, timing not set proper. Carb. Either clogged or badly adjusted. And the older boat is much heavier I would imagine. I on a 5.0 like a 4 blade but on alpha drive you have to trim zink. What prop do you have now.?