cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey All, having a strange electrical...

Evan_Walker
Guest Contributor

Hey All,

having a strange electrical issue. 1999 260 bow rider with the 7.4 MPI. Went to start it up today and after a few cranks I lost power to everything. Motor won’t crank, no accessories work, just dead. Bilge pump still runs as it is wired direct to the batteries so I know they aren’t dead. The drive trim pump also operates which i would assume must also be wired direct to the batteries. 

I’ve traced the wiring as best as I can. Replaced the inline fuse at my battery positive. I’m wondering if the 50 amp circuit breaker mounted to the engine has failed. It cannot be pressed down and it is sticking all the way out. 

Any insight would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

Gig_Harbor_Dan
Guest Contributor
Hey Evan I had almost the exact scenario and it turned out to be the starter. Good luck!

Evan_Walker
Guest Contributor
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out my issue was similar. I went back the next day to inspect the starter and found that the main positive lead had worked its way loose at the starter. Tightened it up and everything came back to life. Gotta love electrical issues - happy it was something simple.

Thanks!

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
I would strongly suggest having the max fuse that is on the starter replaced. It has a bolt and nut in it and when it comes loose it is a prelude to being stranded

wingless
Rising Contributor
The Mercruiser manual specifies using a brush on insulator, like liquid rubber, to protect the electrical connections. I have used that on all those high current battery feeds for protection.

Evan_Walker
Guest Contributor
Thanks guys. My boat is rack stored and i cant get it out after 10/01 so i just did my winter lay up routine over the weekend and I'm planning to give the engine compartment a thorough cleaning this spring and will certainly make sure i clean up the electrical connections. Planning to get the boat into a sea ray dealer as well to give the boat a good going through.