cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hi everyone. loving my bramd new...

leeboselasvegas
Guest Contributor

hi everyone. loving my bramd new 270 sdx.  the only part I really dislike so far is refueling. it takes me forever to get fuel in the tank.  40 gallons took about 20 minutes the other day. the marina's fuel pump clicks and stops every few seconds and the dock hands tell me it is something about the new boats. i have re-read the manual and it doesnt mention anything that I am not doing. is there a secret I should know?   anyone else having this problem also?  any advice is appreciated

12 REPLIES 12

wingless
Rising Contributor
Best wishes w/ the new boat.

My guess is that the tank vent dumps into the filler assembly. That setup is to help prevent fuel spilling into the water during fueling. That setup contributes to excessive tripping of the nozzle full detection shutoff.

The older boats had a different filler assembly where the tank vent was at a different location, like on the side of the hull. On my boat w/ that configuration it is impossible for me to fill the tanks w/o some fuel coming out the vent into the water. I have tried everything I can to not spill, but have never succeeded.

Try decreasing the rate of fuel entering the tank.

Try a different nozzle on the same pump at the gas dock. Try a different pump at the gas dock. Try a different gas dock.

In case you don't know when fueling, close all hatches, portholes, doors and the engine room. Shut off the engines and the blowers. No smoking. When fueling is completed, open the engine room to smell for gasoline fumes, there should not be gasoline fumes. Run the blowers for 10 minutes before starting the engine(s), I turn on my blowers when I'm going to pay for the gas. Then start the engines and allow them to stabilize before casting off.

Russ_K
Guest Contributor
I have a 2016 SLX350 with the identical problem. Dealer has disassembled the venting system and all parts checked ok. I observed while this was done. The vent is external, not thru the filler pipe. I conclude this is a design problem in the fuel tank. I suspect baffles, intended to dampen movement of fuel, restrict fuel distribution while refueling and the fuel backs up in the filler pipe. I'm continuing my dialog with dealer and will insist SeaRay gets involved. We payed fir premium boats and this kind of problem is inexcusable. RK in NC

Burner
Guest Contributor
I have a 2017 270SDX and have no problems refueling. Maybe try a different gas station first.

Hagel
Guest Contributor
I have a 2017 270SDX OB and have ran into this one filling up on the lake, but haven't had any issues with filling the boat at a service station. I thought it was the OLD pumps at the lake. I was able to get around it by not holding the handle all the way down (slowing the fuel flow).

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
With the new fuel regulations that include vapor emmission while fueling, thepumps at most Marina's just simply pump fuel too fast. The vent system can not keep up. It's not an engineering problem, it a gov. Regulation problem. Land based gas stations are required to keep up with these changes to pass the yearly inspections. That sticker you see on every pump in the US.

leeboselasvegas
Guest Contributor
thanks everyone. this is helpful feedback. happy boating!

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
But still, it shouldn't take 20 minutes for 40 gallons. I would have your dealer check the fueling vent, just to be sure nothing "wrong" with it

Danmcman
Guest Contributor
I have the same boat and had the same issue when I put the nozzle all the way in the filler hole. After having fuel shoot out at me within seconds, I pulled the nozzle out just a little and squeezed about half way. Filled 39 gallons in about 4 minutes. Try moving the nozzle a bit and see what happens

Tom123
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem on my 2016 270 SDX.

The dealer replaced the one way value on the fuel vent and it still happened.

Then I had someone sit in the opposite side of the boat when I was filling and everything worked OK.

Someone else in this thread said that when they fill on the trailer it doesn't happened, which supports my theory.

If the boat is leaning to starboard when you are filling it, it will back-flow and shut off the fuel pump.

leeboselasvegas
Guest Contributor
@Tom Jeremiason - thank you. so you are saying, putting weight on port side ( not the bow ) is what helped you? and this was at the same pump where you had the problem before?

Tom123
Guest Contributor
Yes... Have someone sit on the port side of the boat... I have someone sit on the rail next to where the windshield stops and put their feet on the port side settee.

Seems simple, but that does the trick... I think the fuel filler hose is almost flat from beam to beam, so if the boat is leaning starboard, the fuel back-flows.

Yesterday, I put in 42 gallons without a stop.

Hurricane1
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem, dealer finally fixed it by installing another vent. My 270 wouldn't fuel up on land or sea.