cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know where the galvanic...

cbruck
Guest Contributor

Does anyone know where the galvanic isolator is on a 2010 390 Sundancer?  I assume it might be behind the electrical panel in the back locker or somewhere in the engine room?

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
Probably somewhere in the cabin.

Have all the cushion bottoms and backs been unscrewed to determine what is in those volumes?

That is my guess, underneath or underneath and aft of the cabin circuit panel.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My 2000 380DA has two galvanic isolator boxes behind a screwed cushion under the panel.

JBA
Guest Contributor
Can you explain the function of the Galvanic Isolater?

wingless
Rising Contributor
The galvanic isolator maintains the shore power green ground wire protection, but blocks the current that will kill the underwater anodes and destroy the underwater metal, as described in this link.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2019/october/galvanic-isolators-explained#:~:text=The%20galvanic%20isolator%20is%20installed%20in%20the%20green,a%20low%20DC%20voltage%20drop%20in%20that%20conductor.

They should be tested periodically and replaced when failed.

JBA
Guest Contributor
Thanks very much Wingless. Appreciate all your terrific knowledge!

cbruck
Guest Contributor
And Just to add, supposedly when the fail, if manufactured before 2011 they would fail open but then your GFI circuits would no longer protect you and you could be electrocuted. Now they fail shorted but now you no longer have the protection from galvanic currents form other boats etc.