cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Marina called me this week....

Olly
Guest Contributor

My Marina called me this week. My 2004 Sea Ray 300 is layed up for the winter. They were preparing to service the Bravo 3 outdrives and noticed a substantial amount of electrolysis affecting the exterior of the drives. Luckily they can be cleaned up. The trim tab zincs still have a good amount left to them so they are thinking the boat may not be the problem. Possibly stray current from a nearby vessel. Another possibility is a galvanic isolator problem. I'll have to wait until the spring but any suggestions on where to start identifying the stray current? Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
This article shows how to test a galvanic isolator.

https://www.boatingmag.com/testing-galvanic-isolator/

Olly
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless. This is helpful. I’ll check this as soon as the snow melts and I can get into the boat!

Seabuz
Guest Contributor
There are little stainless wires that make ground connections on the outdrive. Make sure they’re in place. Mercury sells a kit.

Olly
Guest Contributor
Thanks- I’ll check those

Drago
Rising Contributor
The kit is about $25 and comes with instructions. It will only work if your bonding system is correct to begin with

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
What’s cheaper to replace, new sacrificial anode set (~$100) or an outdrive. Start there and see if corrosion still accelerated thereafter. Agree with Seabiz, make sure you have the critical stainless ground connectors too!