cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting my 2016 Sea Ray 400 ready...

Seba
Guest Contributor

Getting my 2016 Sea Ray 400 ready for the summer.  In addition to the yearly pressure cleaning and bottom paint they are recommending that they apply Prospeed on the props and shaft, and it's not cheap.  Anybody uses this product?  Do you recommend it?

Thank you

18 REPLIES 18

Seba
Guest Contributor
sorry "Propspeed"

wingless
Rising Contributor
My experience is that the effectiveness of bottom treatments depend upon the boat location and boat operation / usage.

This inquiry placed to other boat owners in your area would provide more valuable information.

My experience w/ Propspeed in my application is that it is fine, until it stops working.

The product must be applied properly. There is a VERY specific timing for the different coats. I found that application of one contiguous coat on the front of one blade, carried over to the rear of the next blade was the best method, followed by the next coat, then moving on.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Before

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
After, worth every penny in saltwater, don’t know about fresh, except any fouling should clean right off underway, resulting in better efficiency. Cheers!

SMT
Guest Contributor
Any salt water is way to go, fresh water?

CKboater
Guest Contributor
I've thought of using Prospeed as well, but thought it was to much $$$ I now use Petite, Barnacel Barrier as a base coat and Sea Hawk Smart Solutions paint - - it holds up well to the prop wash and never have any growth. I'm in the Long Island Souind

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
This today, 2 years and 300 hrs later

wingless
Rising Contributor
Wow!

The Jet Rooster results are nothing like my results.

What part of the country is the boat located / frequency of usage / percentage of year on the hard versus floating?

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
If you mean me, Boca Taton, FL, in the water 365. Bottom cleaned every 3 weeks. Also, the tech today says it has to be applied correctly or it’s a waste

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
I have used Propsed for almost 6 years. It's worth every penny you spend. Our boat is in pure saltwater.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sorry Propspeed

BB_LEE
Guest Contributor
I've used propspeed for 3 seasons in saltwater (Long Island Sound) and have been very happy with it.....except for the cost. All surfaces have to be clean and pretty much down to base metal. I was just told by my service about a less expensive product that competes very well......Propglide. Has anyone used it. I am about to make a decision this week.
Thanks

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
The prop coat product was expensive, extensive prep and three layer system. It burnt off my 2006 40 motoryacht w/24” straight shaft props first trip out. Best I found is to Use plenty of zincs and regular bottom paint.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
What you describe doesn't sound like Propspeed.....

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
Still have the box. It was Pettit Kop-coat. I don't recommend it.

Yobub
Guest Contributor
Has anyone seen a loss of RPMs after applying propspeed? I was told that can be an issue, and to remove it from my boat to maintain full RPMs.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Not me, actullay got better speed

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray

Has an identical spec sheet to the Pettit Kop-coat at ~$6.00 a can.