cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question relative to 2006 Sundancer...

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor

Question relative to 2006 Sundancer 44. Is there another way to climb up onto the hardtop other than through the hatch?  One observer mentioned that one could climb up the front window frame from the outside or to remove the center Eisenglas window and climb up from inside the helm area contorting one's body by standing on the metal framing.  None of these two last items seem like a good idea, but just curious as to how either large people or short people would access the hardtop without climbing through the hatch. Thanks for your responses as usaul.

13 REPLIES 13

Knotacare
Guest Contributor
I climbed up onto the top of the hardtop when putting a tarp over my 06 440 DA. I climbed up over the windshield and it seemed to be pretty solid. No adverse consequences... I can’t imagine climbing through the hatch!

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Knotacare- thanks, I would live to hear as well from other owners that this is done on a regular basis and/or even play’s by Sea Ray. When I put a tad of weight on the frame it seemed to flex a bit- I tad scary. I weight 200 lbs and would really hate to severely damage the windshield/glad/frame or even me.

RAV
Guest Contributor
I have only ever gone through the hatch. I would be very hesitant to climb up and down the windshield. No issues working on the hardtop ... been on it dozens of times.

CCH
Guest Contributor
I climb on the hard top pretty much every time I wash the boat. ‘03 420. I would say that if you are under 6’ tall or over 200#s you might have an issue with getting up there. Or too much weight on the windshield frame. I go straight up to the top with one foot on the windshield frame between the center and port pieces. As a note, every time I climb up I think I am dumb and likely going to fall in the water.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Thanks to all of you for your comments --- despite RAV's situation of only going through the hatch, I will be climbing up the windshield frame.,... I am about 6' 1" so should be able to access it. Yesterday I spoke with the prior owner and he said that is exactly how he accessed the roof. He too is about 6 ft and 200 lbs. I'll let you all know how I make out.... unsure when I will give it a shot, perhaps later today or next weekend,

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Just as a follow up, I have now carefully climbed up the windshield (framing) and slide down a few times. This is surely the best way to access the roof, as long as I don't gain anymore weight (currently 200 lbs). Happy boating!

RAV
Guest Contributor
Thanks for update FFFAST. I will try this next time i go up top. Sounds easier than climbing through hatch.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I’m short and heavy I climb up the windshield framing I have the same boat

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Big Mike- thanks for your confirmation this is the way to go. I’ve now been up 3 or 4 times and also believe this is a fine alternative.

RAV
Guest Contributor
Climbed up for first time today as well. Was not difficult but neither was going through hatch. As i was doing it i kept thinking easy until its not. A cracked windshield would be a difficult replacement. I will likely stick with the tried and true method. Hope climbing is safe and no one experiences any issues.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Marinmax technician showed me to step on the window frame were the support attaches to the frame which is about half way up. Mine has a gps antenna that I use to grab onto an pull myself up. Been doing this for 6 years and no problems.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Thank you cbruck.....

cbruck
Guest Contributor
You're welcome, and I should add that the GPS antenna on the roof that I grab onto is a solidly mounted mushroom style antenna that I grab as close to the base as possible. Be safe.