cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a ‘04 290 Amberjack. Can’t...

Dictator
Guest Contributor

I have a ‘04 290 Amberjack. Can’t get rid of the foul smell from my fresh water. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

norm1
Guest Contributor
Try running some bleach through your holding tank, flush, then follow that with a gallon of white vinegar and flush again. Good luck!

ernie2
Guest Contributor
I remember seeing a couple of articles about this and always thought about giving this a shot... try Vodka! - https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/using-vodka-to-winterize-fresh-water-system.134804/

ernie2
Guest Contributor
hahah.. shot... no pun intended!

Dave_Kerr
Guest Contributor
I cut into my holding tank and it was clean. The source was the hot water tank and it penetrated the hot water piping. Flushing the HW tank with bleach and replacing HW tubing

Don_Mac
Guest Contributor
Make sure you have gotten all the Red antifreeze out of the hot water tank, if you have a compressor blow out the hot side and see if you have the red antifreeze, then use one to cups bleach in the water system and let it sit about two to three hours after you refill the hot water tank, then flush with fresh water. I did my neighbor boat last summer and he said all the red pop was out, I took about 1/2 gallon of red pop out of the hot water tank with the attaching the compressor up to dock side water and putting a drain hose on the drain of the hot water tank. The smell all went away.

Den
Guest Contributor
All good suggestions. My recommendation is to run all faucets and the head after you fill the the system with the bleach (only 4-5 oz bleach per 20 gal of water capacity is all you need). Then leave the bleach solution in the system for at least 24 hours before flushing it out with fresh water. That should do the trick and get all the lines cleared as well as the tank. If not repeat the process. Good luck.

Drago
Rising Contributor
If you are referring to the potable water system, run the bleach water out the faucets throughout the boat to ensure they are clean. Worked for me.