cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stinky hot water on my 2002 260 sundancer

Chillin
Guest Contributor

How do I get rid of the stinky smell when I turn on the hot water. The cold water is fine with no smell.

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Either the water heater is stinky, or the lines.

On my boat I periodically put a small amount of chlorine bleach into the water tank, then run the water tank dry through all the taps. (This is not a recommendation, but it works for me.) Don't forget to periodically remove / clean / replace the aeration screens from all the faucets.

The water heater on my boat is a cylinder w/ dome end caps. The cylinder is mounted horizontally, w/ all the fittings in one dome end cap. The cylinder is encased within a steel box.

The water heater will NEVER run the water out of the bottom, unless it mixes w/ the water in the rest of the vessel. The end cap fittings start at about 1" above the bottom, always leaving that much water in the "empty" tank.

If the bottom of the cylinder grew a "slime" during "empty" winter storage, then it might be required to unscrew / disconnect the water heater to permit higher power garden hose flushing of the interior, w/ complete draining w/ the open fittings pointing down.

A temporary removal of the heater element will create a large opening to the cylinder interior that might aid in a complete cleaning.

Gaylenjeff
Guest Contributor
Did you winterize with pink propylene glycol? sometimes the heat in the water heater tank will cause the PG to smell.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
run the system empty including the water heater then pour at least two cups of bleach in and fill halfway. turn on the water system and fill the water heater and let it run until water comes out of the faucets. You will smell the bleach, if you can let it sit for an hour or two. I've done this with good results. Repeat if the smell is still there. I stopped using the pink stuff for winterizing and just blow the system out when winterizing. Doing this seems to have eliminated the stink problem.

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
This is a very common problem. I get it too. The word around our marina is to flush it with vinegar. I haven't tried it yet but others swear by it.

Korkie
Guest Contributor
White vinegar is what I have done for 15 years. Drain system to as close to empty as t will get. Add a gallon or 2 of white vinegar and runs system up to pressure. Open each spicket until you get good vinegar smell and let set for (I do a day) a while. Fill system with water and turn on all spickets and let run until vinegar odor is gone. I then use AquaBon water treatment. Water is odorless and drinkable (although we do not drink it). Have tested at local water company each season for free and always tests above acceptable. As a side note, use PineSol, fragrance of your choice, to clean your AC condensation tray and drains and your sump pump system for shower. Gets all the goop out and leaves a nice pleasant smell for the better part of the season.