cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sunday morning  I have a...

IL_Pirata
Guest Contributor

Good Sunday morning  I have a 1999 380 Sundancer I'm looking at tearing the carpet out and replacing the floor with wood I'm interested if anyone has done the same I could use some feedback thank you 

12 REPLIES 12

George_DeSchryv
Guest Contributor
Hello Il Pirata: I just tore out all the carpet from the floor of my 1986 Weekender 300 and replaced it with a vinyl teak floating floor. The pieces come in 36in lengths and 6 inches wide. The strips adhere to each other and it not to complicated to install. Looks pretty nice if I do say so myself.
We have a big Labs and this is soo much easier to clean up after the "kids" have been swimming, just wipe up the floor.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Assuming that the vertical-surface carpeting near the floor will remain in-place, these are the potential issues that will increase the difficulty.

On my 2000 380DA, the floor has a depression, under the galley sink and refrigerator floor air inlet. The new flooring will need to follow that contour.

The mid stateroom floor is 6" below the salon floor. There will need to be some curved-edge treatment at that location.

There is another floor depression, at the moving vertical surface, when the mid stateroom bunk is fully retracted to a sofa configuration, also creating complication for the flooring.

The four removable floor panels will likely require some edge treatment to protect the flooring.

ReelPower
Guest Contributor
last year i had my carpet removed and had plasteak Floor installed sounds simulator to Georges floor i have a 1999 33 express. it looks awsum

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
hello wingless i own the same 380 searay have you also removed your carpet? do you have any pics and what did you put down in place of carpet? thanks

wingless
Rising Contributor
My carpeting is still in great shape. The factory installed a snap-in runner to protect the carpeting. I don't expect to ever have to change the carpeting.

Rakkus
Guest Contributor
Good morning. We own a 93' 370 and before that a 270. Both boats we installed wood veneer. Looks fab and easy to clean. Not cheap but well worth it. Look on line for a good floor guy to do the job. Around $1500. Do it!

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
thanks rakkus do you have any pics of the floor

IL_Pirata
Guest Contributor
Rakkus how hard was it taking up the original carpet and did you have to sand we are looking at solid teak pre-finished floor found three-quarter still looking for half-inch

stocksj
Guest Contributor
Hi, we have a 99 290DA and ripped up the carpet rolling some water leak and coffee stains. We are looking using outdoor carpet and think that faux teak flooring would look great. The new SeaRay's have a wood floor look that's great. We also had the cockpit area covered in sea deck and it makes the older look much better.

Gene2
Guest Contributor
The carpet is a real chore to remove. Then you will need to smooth the floor slightly. I did a portion on my boat with some maple flooring and converted a hatch cover with a floor medallion while I was at it.

http://www.370sundancer.com/OddsnEnds/Flooring%20and%20Steps/files/page291-1055-full.html

wingless
Rising Contributor
Very nice work Gene!

The link permits scrolling through the project images, very good.

Rakkus
Guest Contributor
Sorry, I looked thru my files and I don't have any pics of this boats wood floor. However it looks like Gene's except we didn't do the compass rose. Nice touch.