cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information on why...

Bwalders
Guest Contributor

Looking for information on why my generator and starboard engine stall and won’t restart after running at cruising speeds but stall at idle and won’t restart. 

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

What boat? What engines and what generator?

Bwalders
Guest Contributor
Thanks wingless. 2008 Sundancer with 8.1 Horizons. Kohler generator

wingless
Rising Contributor
It may be that your model Sundancer uses a shared fuel tank pickup tube and that part has a problem. Try tracing the fuel lines back from the generator and back from the engine to see what exists on your boat.

A fuel pressure gauge is an essential tool when working on fuel injected engines.

Examine the fuel pressure at the rail, during normal operation and during the problem.

Some boats have problems with heat soak vapor lock. Does the problem happen while operating w/ the engine cover open?

Bwalders
Guest Contributor
Wingless do you think it could be these or the circuit that controls them?

Bwalders
Guest Contributor
How do I post a picture?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Either point to a hosted image address, such as from Flicker or attach an image from your computer, as-shown in the attached image.

Follow normal diagnostic steps to ID the problem(s).

Bwalders
Guest Contributor
These Parker Fuel control solenoids

wingless
Rising Contributor
Possible, but those Parker Skinner valves have a two-position rotating knob. Off is electrical control, valve open when fuel pump has power from an extra Sea Ray harness from the engine fuel pump to the hull. On is always on, regardless of the engine.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48901381777_a53823f14b_c.jpg[/img]

Verify voltage from the engine at the valve when the engine should be running.

Those are "easy" to test by swapping the working part to the questionable part. If doing that use appropriate procedures and appropriate thread sealant.

Again, measure fuel pressure at the rail. A fuel pressure gauge is a required tool for diagnostics on fuel injected engines.

Bwalders
Guest Contributor
Good morning Wingless
We checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it was at 38 when idle and 40 running at 3500 RPM I changed the fuel filters in the cool fuel modules and ran a couple cans of SeaFoam through and thought that fixed it. We ran (3500rpm) for about an hour and then put them at idle. She idled fine until I went to move to a different spot and gave her some throttle, she backfired sputtered and shut down. We headed back in on the port engine, I opened the hatch to cool the engine room down and she started back up in about 45mins.
Engine temps 158-160
Sea Temp 69
Air temp 75

Something to mention. The generator never shut down. So my idea that the problem is connected. I now believe it is not. I did notice the LCD screen on the Starboard Engine goes blank sometimes but I still have a reading in the analog gages.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
This last round of symptoms sounds like a PCM overheating and shutting down. Possible stored codes in the computer may give you a better indication.