cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wingless, you were kind enough...

Hugo
Guest Contributor

Wingless, you were kind enough to share a link regarding my problem of filling my 2002 220 Sea Ray with gas. Would you resend please?

The problem is I have to put gas in very, very slowly and even then I get bubbling and overflow. The mechanic, whom I trust, said he'll need to get at the tank which means a lot of time dis-assembling and then re-assembling. He feels that the gas fill hose line or vent line is the challenge. Along with this problem, my previously very accurate (amazing, right?) fuel gauge started not reading accurately. However, since I couldn't truly know how much gas I had cause of the bubbling and overflow I really can't say for certain the gauge is faulty. I did put a new sending unit in and that seems to correct the fuel gauge issue, but until I can really fill the tank I can't be sure.

If you or anyone could respond to my email instead of me waiting for the weekly post I'd appreciate it. Thanks ! [email protected]

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is a link I provided previously w/ troubleshooting the fuel gauge:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=833

The slow filling problem must be defective fuel tank venting. The venting must slope up from tank, with no dips. The vent screen must not be obstructed by a spider vent.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Spider web

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hi,
I checked the vent and it seems clear, at least at the top. Do I have to disassemble everything around the gas line to check for any dips or obstructions? It's a 2002 220 bow rider.
My trusted mechanic said the issue could also be a collapsed filler liner. It seems as if the biggest cost here is the labor time to disassemble and reassemble. Thoughts?

wingless
Rising Contributor
On my boat I can contort my body to reach the vent hose(s) for access and possible replacement.

My guess is access on your boat is more difficult.

At this point a portable air tank and blow hose could help to quickly ID / resolve the problem.

If the fuel filler cap is removed, then an air blow nozzle on the hull exterior could / should blow any crud obstructing the hose into the tank.

Several caveats...

If this works, crud that was in the hose will now be floating in the fuel, in the tank. It is hoped / expected that the fuel filters will capture this crud, preventing problems.

It is possible that the obstruction will just "giggle", causing fuel to burp or worse, gush, out the vent. Wear eye protection and follow appropriate steps for possible fuel spill.

Note that a better option is to just swap the vent hose for new, securing along the length to ensure uphill slope, w/ no dips from tank to vent.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
I though of blowing the lines too, but agree that any freed obstruction might be more problematic in the gas tank. The lines are well concealed along the side of the boat and not accessible without disassembly.
Thanks again.
Hugo

wingless
Rising Contributor
Disassembly is no problem, IMO. On my boat almost everything has been removed at least once.

The issue is frequently the ability / inability to put a human body into a position where sufficient access exists.

In a situation like this, it is possible that the engine was installed after the vent hose (just as an example) preventing sufficient access w/o engine removal.

On the other hand, it might just require unscrewing / removing some storage covers.

Investigation to understand is the first step.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Thanks again. Just have to jump in!
All the best.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hi,
Regarding the fuel line issue, part of the problem seems to be the design of where the vent line vents by the gas filler. Ended up replacing the fuel and vent hoses and installing a new vent on the gunwhale . Seems much more practical and the stainless vent blend in perfectly. Let's see how it goes. Thanks again.

Captain_Ben
Guest Contributor
Sometimes when a boat is waxed, excess wax piles up over the fuel vent opening inadvertently. The solution is to visually check this out and clean it up. If the vent is free and open, that should solve the problem.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for the tip. I replaced the fuel and vent lines and installed a much more efficient vent on the gunwhale. That should do it.
Looking forward to getting on the water.
All the best.