cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all - have yet another question...

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor

Hello all - have yet another question about my relatively new (to me) 2006 Sundancer 44. To the left of the companion seat next at the helm, there is a molded opening at the corner which I am sure is for storing a fire extinguisher.  On my boat that indent is there but no fire extinguisher, nor even a bracket or a mark showing where an extinguisher once was or where it belongs.  I would like to aquire an extinguisher, but don't want to drill holes in the fiberglas to mount the unit. Anyone have any ideas how I can store an extinguisher at this location without drilling a hole or marring the finish in some other way?  Thank you very much DHC

17 REPLIES 17

wingless
Rising Contributor
My 2000 380DA has a similar curved vertical half cylinder cavity next to the helm companion seat.

In my case I never mounted anything at that location.

The cavity is shaped to accept a fire extinguisher, an EPIRB or an electronic flare. However, the mounting bracket for any of those devices has a flat surface, for mounting onto a flat surface.

IMO a fire extinguisher will never be used on almost every boat. Mine are very handy in the cockpit, salon and galley, with labels on the exterior of the locker doors (when applicable) to ID the safety equipment contained within that closed door compartment.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Thank you Wingless- greatly appreciate your quick response. Makes sense ... I would also appreciate hearing from someone who has mounted an extinguisher there or used the space for something else. Otherwise it is pretty much wasted space. Coming from a 1999 330 Sundancer, I am a tad frustrated with what seems to be less storage space topside, although the situation will improve once I receive fender racks which will be mounted on the forward deck railing.

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
When I bought my 2000-380 DA, the fire Ext was not mounted, I mounted it in the nook to the port side of the companion seat you spoke of, no issue at all, 2 small holes, took 2 mins....

Vis
Guest Contributor
Identical Sundancer, we have a fire extinguisher mounted in this location. Per 'wingless' comment, we have not used it either, thankfully, but I'm reassured it is in easy reach for myself or guests. Also, should you be randomly boarded by Coast Guard for a safety check, it fulfills one of the requirements.

Vis
Guest Contributor
FFFFAST, we also moved up from a 330 and share your frustration with storage space. FYI, we ended up putting fenders in the transom storage locker (holds 4) to keep the deck clean.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I will have to disagree with Winglass on his first comment(unless I am misunderstanding what he is trying to say) about never needing a fire extinguisher on a boat. I just had a friend's boat burn to the waterline and sink 25-30 miles offshore. Fire extinguishers are a type of insurance and I like having plenty of insurance that I never want to use. Drill the holes, chamfer the edges of the holes and you will not mar the finish and the bracket will be properly mounted and your insurance will be in place that you hope to never use. There should always be an extinguisher by the helm IMO along with other strategic locations like the galley, engine room access etc.

wingless
Rising Contributor
wingless: "IMO a fire extinguisher will never be used on almost every boat. Mine are very handy in the cockpit, salon and galley, with labels on the exterior of the locker doors (when applicable) to ID the safety equipment contained within that closed door compartment."

[email protected] "I will have to disagree with Winglass on his first comment(unless I am misunderstanding what he is trying to say) about never needing a fire extinguisher on a boat."

The words in my post represent my opinion, that almost every boater will never need their fire extinguisher.

It is unfortunate that the fire extinguisher in gtstang462002 friend's boat was placed too far from the helm to prevent it from being burned to the waterline. Fire is a serious risk and every action possible should be implemented for prevention, then immediate mitigation, if required.

As has been stated, mine is also at the helm, behind a labeled locker door. My concerns about mounting in that curved cavity are: increased rust; exposure to accidental contact damage and exposure to children playing w/ that device. Select the nearby location that best fits the needs of the boat.

Dani-Lu
Guest Contributor
Curious, what is your issue with drilling holes? I and many others can explain the best way to drill if you are concerned with ruining anything. The holes will forever be hidden by a fire extinguisher. My white extinguisher is many years old and not a spec of rust.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Good day gtstang (Mustang GT fan?), wingless and Dani-Lu - appreciate all of your comments, which are all useful. I will drill holes and locate my extinguisher at the "nook" location. That is what it was intended, it would be super handy should it need to be utilized and there just isn't a lot of excess space near the helm. I asked the question since I just don't like to drill excess holes (after 20 years of ownership my 330 Sundancer was in fantastic condition, with minimum number of alterations, which the new owner greatly appreciates), but realize this is the most ideal solution. I only asked the question since someone may have had another solution... however drilling the couple of holes for what will be a permanent solution makes sense. Relative to the lack of storage on the 44, I have ordered two of the large fender racks to be located at the bow of the boat which will hold at least 4 of my maxi-fenders (we do lots of rafting so multiple "big-boy" fenders are a must. This leaves room for lines and power cords and cleaning buckets/brushes in the aft trunk. One other issue I have is where to store my large rectangular Magma grill. When I purchased it, never that that a boat to carry (and most likely grill for) 8 or 10 people wouldn't have room to store a grill --- Oh well, perhaps I need a larger boat ---- .......ahhhh, NO WAY!!!!

Kirk
Guest Contributor
This is what it looks like on my 2006 44 Dancer

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Perfect Kirk - thank you -- I will measure the opening tomorrow and purchase the correctly sized extinguisher

wingless
Rising Contributor
Regardless of where the fire extinguisher is located, remember to discard the plastic bracket included with the fire extinguisher and additionally purchase the correct metal bracket, to comply with the USCG requirements.

Here is one for the smaller Kidde fire extinguishers.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Mounting-Bracket-Chemical-Extinguishers/dp/B00002NC0N/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=kidde+420118&qid=1617598516&sr=8-2

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here are my cockpit locker fire extinguishers, plug my now (permanently expired) pyrotechnic flares.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4465/37750219912_24d196150f_c.jpg

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Thank you Wingless —- appreciate your following up.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Wingless, can you share the USCG CFR that requires a "metal" bracket?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Another already pointed out that a metal bracket isn't required. The plastic bracket provided meets the requirements.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Mounted the fire extinguisher in the cubby next to the helm using a couple of screws and the plastic holder- secure, looks good and now protected a bit more just in case a fire should occur.