cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2002 460 that has a tiny...

Capt_Steve
Guest Contributor

I have a 2002 460 that has a tiny leak somewhere into the aft stateroom cedar closet staining the cedar and remaining wet.. Anyone else have that problem? 

5 REPLIES 5

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Water leaks can be a PIA to find. Does it leak when it is raining, all the time? That will identify the type of leak. If it is from rain, you have to look at the slopes and potential entry points. Look for caulking that is pulling apart at seams due to age, etc. If it is a leak that seems to be there all the time when you have water pressure of the boat, we need to identify plumping lines and inspect all fittings as well as the lines themselves. Keep in mind, water runs downhill and like electricity, always takes the path of least resistance.

RMS
Guest Contributor
PIA is right - GT has some great notes, I would add that your boat is at a different level when running than when docked. (Just one more complication to think about). I had a leak that only happened when i was running - the drain line was plugged but it needed a certain angle to catch the hole on top of the pipe.

Bob_Schroeder
Guest Contributor
I had a leak into our storage cabinets in the front V berth. It turned out to be from the screw holes drilled at the factory for the topside railing. We had all the screws sealed and it stopped leaking.

Capt__Whitfield
Guest Contributor
I've found that the majority of my leaks come from the top side railing.I removed all of my topside hatches and resealed them, only to still have leaks. Removed the screws from the topside rails and resealed them, volla no more leaks.

Capt_Steve
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the input. Sealing the hatch and rail screws is next on the list.