cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey gangA prop question. My boat...

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor

Hey gang

A prop question. My boat calls for an 18in x 21.5 pitch for port, an 18in x 21 for starboard per my parts manual. 

Does the .5 difference in pitch make a difference in performance or RPM's?  

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
That spec is probably close enough.

When I yank my boat I have my props retuned to Class S.

The first time I reached that level it was expensive, now it is acceptable cost.

The first time I got the Class S tune I noticed a smoothness and performance increase, greater top end velocity.

The pitch on both props is almost identical, port 21.998, starboard 21.980.

Matching RPM underway is easy using the center null gauge.

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
Hey Wingless, yes, I get how to match the RPM'S thru the gauges, but the throttles do not line up even now. I have talked to several prop companies that believe it is due to the pitch being not right. Do you have any ideas? Thanks - Paul

wingless
Rising Contributor
Have the props been tuned?

What do the results show?

Mine are tuned every few years and are always identical.

My throttle levers during operation are always virtually aligned.

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
As far as tuning them I am not sure but they are brand new, a matched pair except for the pitch. The throttles were fine until the props were replaced with a different pitch to starboard

wingless
Rising Contributor
When I examine the part manual for a 2000 340DA w/ 454 MAG MPI Horizon vee drive engines the spec is 17"x17"x1.5" RH/LH, 17"x16"x1.5" for the standard 7.4L

Stern drive gets 15.5"x17" props.

No where did I find 18"x21" props listed for a 340DA.

Regardless, even w/ new props, a good starting point is to have them tuned / balanced. It should improve the operation and top end. In my case the first time bringing to the highest tune, Class S was the most painful. Periodic tweaks were acceptable cost.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Also, the symptom about throttle position changing w/ new props, also having a specified pitch difference (even though small) points to that being the first thing to check.