cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an FYI. Anybody that has a...

Seabuz
Guest Contributor

Just an FYI. Anybody that has a mercruizer with the engine drain system and those little blue drain plugs. If you can’t remember when you changed them, it’s time to replace them. Just so happened that I went to my boat over the weekend and opened the hatch to check on things, started the motor and the next thing water is pissing out of the fuel cooler where the plug was. The top broke off. Do yourself a favor and replace them. See the photo. 

11 REPLIES 11

Sambo
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one today.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Good info.

My custom exhaust flush / drain system built w/ OEM Mercruiser parts has four of those that are removed / replaced after each outing.

They continue to look brand new after over five years.

Yes, if they ever start to show evidence of degradation, as shown in the image, a fresh set will be installed.

ernie2
Guest Contributor
They kept failing on me and I'd have to pull the fuel pump to pick it out. Found hardy marine made a stainless steel plug. Replaced all the blue ones. Problem solved. https://www.michiganmotorz.com/stainless-steel-sea-pump-drain-plugs-mercruiser

Mind you, I'm in San Diego so don't have to worry about winterizing. I'm sure they are intended to fail if the block gets too cold.

AMadden
Guest Contributor
@Paul Ferrara you replace them after each outing?!

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Andrew Madden The exhaust system installed by Sea Ray would last 3-5 years w/ OEM Mercruiser parts before requiring tossing and replacing those beautiful, now useless expensive / heavy parts.

The exhaust was redesigned by me using OEM Mercruiser parts, from impossible to flush, impossible to drain, retaining salt water 24/7/365, to now I drain, flush w/ fresh water, flush w/ soapy water, flush w/ Salt Away, drain bone dry, ready for the next usage.

My last annual periodic disassembly for internal inspection shows the raw water passages still look brand new after five years of operation.

Part of this new exhaust design includes my removal / replacement of four of these blue wing nut plugs. IMO the trade off of the manual steps I described versus the cost / frustration / effort to discard replace the OEM Mercruiser exhaust every 3-5 years is not even a close comparison.

Cap_Ken
Guest Contributor
What did you do to redesign the system to make it easier to flush? thanks

Assertive
Guest Contributor
@Paul Ferrara Can you provide more details on your system and the process that you use to flush your system?

AMadden
Guest Contributor
@Paul Ferrara I think you misunderstood my question. I mean do you replace those plugs after every outing (each time you use the boat)?

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I believe Hardin Marine has those in SS if you want to feel real secure.

Sambo
Guest Contributor
AMadden -- I think what he meant is that he removes them to left the water drain out and then screw them back in.

DanS
Guest Contributor
I routinely replace the rubber o-rings during spring re-commissioning as I have had issues with leaks, etc.